I loved this meal because it was one of our cook once, eat twice meals. Since we were already grilling it is super simple to add an extra steak (or two) to the grill for a second meal. That is generally how I get two meals out of one. Cooking extra meat is generally easy and to make it into a second dish a night or two later that is completely different from the meal before doesn’t make your family tired of eating “leftovers.”
This was a super simple meal on a busy night. When I first mentioned what I wanted to make for dinner I got the frown from my entire family. They thought we were grilling each individual lettuce leaf. No! You grill the Romaine hearts whole. It takes 2-3 minutes and is so easy and add a new flavor to the salad.
The best part of the meal was making the Caesar salad dressing with my daughter. I used anchovy fillets. You can use anchovy paste or leave them out entirely if you wish although you will need to replace the saltiness with a bit of extra salt. My daughter was shocked that the dressing was yellowish. She began to question what was really in the jars of Caesar dressing and how it is made! Score mom!
Grilled Caesar Salad with Steak
- 1 lb. steak, cooked to your liking and thinly sliced
- 5-6 Romaine hearts
- oil for grill
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (good flavor for salad or dipping not just cooking)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated not canned
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper
- While grill is preheating mix 1/2 cup olive oil, egg yolks, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, anchovy fillets, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Taste and adjust spices to your liking.
- Cook steak on grill seasoned with salt and black pepper. Once they are done to your liking remove from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is resting oil grill well with paper towels and tongs to avoid getting burnt. Lay dried Romaine hearts on grill. Turning over after 1 minute. If heat is uneven make sure all hearts get a bit of time on hotter area to get nice char marks. Remove from grill.
- To assemble salad: Cut bottoms of Romaine hearts and lay salad greens on plate. Lay steak slices over the greens. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and croutons. Drizzle salad dressing over the top and serve with extra dressing on the table to use as needed.