Pizza is a great simple dinner when I don’t have a lot of time to get dinner on the table. I love the variety of topping you can put on it too. Our CSA share has been full of zucchini, summer squash, egg-plant, tomatoes, and large red peppers. I hate having anything go to waste so I took all the vegetables hidden in my refrigerator and roasted them to add to other dishes. The first dish? Pizza!
My children thought I was crazy putting all the roasted vegetables on pizza? I told them give me a chance. Once I said I was planning on putting pesto on it too they were sold. They both love pesto enough to try just about anything that has pesto on it.
They both really enjoyed the pizza. They said it was not something that they would want every time but it was different and good. My favorite part is that I could roast the vegetables and cook the chicken ahead of time so I was not in a hurry to get them in the oven at dinner time. Roasting vegetables and cooking a few chicken breasts is a great weekend or day off thing to do for meal prep for the week. It will cut down your time putting dishes together for dinner the rest of the week and may keep you from ordering out.
Roasted Vegetable, Pesto and Chicken Pizza
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- Corn meal or oil for cooking dough
- Roasted vegetables – zucchini, egg-plant, red bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, onions, and mushrooms all work very well but choose what your family may like
- 2/3 cup pesto (jarred or homemade, your choice
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and chopped (your choice grilled, poached or baked all work well)
- 6 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add corn meal to pizza stone or oil to a rimmed baking dish to keep pizza from sticking to the stone or pan.
- Stretch dough to fit a large round pizza stone or large rimmed baking sheet. Pierce with a fork over the top and bake for 4 minutes to set dough.
- Remove dough from oven. Cover crust, except for 1/4″ around edge, with pesto. Sprinkle with roasted vegetables over pesto. Add chicken breast over vegetables, then cover all with cheeses.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes depending on thickness of your pizza dough and the amount of vegetables on it. Check after 10 minutes. When bottom of pizza is golden in color remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.