Whenever anyone asks how I come up with different meals I tell them take the things you like and the flavors you like and turn them into something else. Sandwiches turn into casserole or pizzas can be turned in soups.
My kids ask for simple meals like a hamburger or hot dog every so often. So, I had a bag of cheese tortellini to use. Why not combine all the flavors of cheeseburgers that we love with the tortellini to make cheeseburger tortellini?
This dish got mixed reviews. The adults liked it more than the kids. My daughter didn’t want so much mustard flavor and my son wanted less relish. Make sure you taste the recipe if you try it and adjust the flavors to what your family likes. I served this with chopped onion and tomatoes on the side to use as topping because that is what makes a burger to my kids.
I served this with a hearty green salad to complete the meal.
- 1 (28 oz) bag cheese tortellini, frozen
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cups ketchup (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup pickle relish (dill or sweet, your choice)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Topping such as diced tomatoes, diced onions and shredded lettuce as desired
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and onion to pan. Allow to cook until onions start to will. Add garlic to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic turns very fragrant. Add ground beef to pan. Cook ground beef breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Drain any fat from cooked ground beef, onions and garlic.add to the skillet the ketchup, mustard, relish, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and taste. Adjust spices as needed. You want it to be really flavorful like a cheeseburger with everything on it.
- Mix in the frozen tortellini and then spread in the baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until dish is heated all the way through and cheese is bubbly on top.
- Serve with diced tomatoes and other toppings as desired.