I have been reading about this for years. Every so often I think, oh I should try this to see how it tastes and if it really works. The other day was a perfect lazy day with the kids so I decided to give Dulce de Leche in the slow cooker a try.
When I made this I had no other plans for it other than making it. I thought we would taste it and then decide what to do with it. My kids were funny putting it the whole can in the slow cooker. They kept asking me, “Are you sure we don’t open it and just put the condensed milk in the slow cooker?” I guaranteed them this would work, well I hoped it would work.
It worked! After 8 hours in the slow cooker, you can cook it up to 10 hours if you want a darker sauce, we carefully opened the can and each tasted a bit. The kids immediately wanted it over ice cream once they realized it tasted like caramel sauce. Then they started to get creative – as a frosting over dark chocolate cake, make it into cookies, or stir a bit into their morning coffee.
This would be delicious as part of a dessert for a dinner party, teen gathering, or even just a fun experiment with kids.
This was a hit. Seal leftovers in a container and store up to three days in the refrigerator.
Dulce de Leche in the slow cooker
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Enough water to cover the can in your slow cooker
- Remove label from can. Place sealed can on side in slow cooker. Make sure can is completely submerged in water. Cover.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Carefully remove can from water with tongs. Do NOT touch can! It will be scalding hot! Let can cool before opening with can opener. Serve as desired.