I made the Enchilada Sauce the other day then I made this Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole with the sauce. You can make both the sauce and casserole on the same day or make the sauce one day and the casserole the next. Whatever will best fit into your schedule.
This was a delicious spicy dish! It had all the pieces of Chicken Enchiladas without the rolling and I didn’t need to cook and shred the chicken first before rolling the enchiladas. The dish will be as spicy as your sauce so make it as hot and spicy or as tame as you like.
Both kids have asked me to make this dish again soon. I served this with sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese for the topping, a hearty green salad and Mexican rice on the side.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Simple Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1\2 – 2 lbs chicken breast
- Homemade Enchilada sauce (click for link to recipe) or a 28 oz can of sauce
- 1 (12 oz) bag corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker bowl. Cover with Enchilada sauce. Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Shred chicken using two forks. Add tortilla strips and 1 cup of cheese to the chicken. Stir well.
- Flatten mixture with the back of a fork. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Cover and cook on low for an additional 30-40 minutes until cheese has melted and is bubbly around the edges.
- Serve topped with sour cream and additional cheese if desired.