Do you know how to make one of the perfect comfort foods? Surprisingly most people get it all wrong. Low and slow is the way to cook it. It will get that golden, crispy, crunchy outside while having beautifully melted cheese inside. You have to be patient and not turn up the heat no matter how much you want to.
These were delicious! Nice, crisp, honey crisp apples with tangy cheddar cheese and mellow turkey to bulk up the sandwich. These were so good.
Turkey, Cheddar Cheese and Apple Grilled Cheese
- 8 sliced bread, good sourdough or country white are best
- Butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) package cheddar cheese, sliced (8 slices)
- 1 honey crisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. deli turkey breast, sliced
- Spread butter on one side of 4 slices of bread. Lay buttered side down on cool griddle pan. Top with 1 slice of cheese, some apple slices, some turkey, and top with second slice of cheese. Build all four sandwiches. Top with second slice of buttered bread, buttered side up.
- Place griddle on stove top over medium heat. It will take 10-15 minutes for the first side to reach that nice golden color you are looking for on an electric stove and about 10 minutes on a gas stove. Flip the sandwich only once. So make sure it is the nice golden color you want. Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula. Resist the temptation to squish it with the back of your spatula!
- Cook the second side of the sandwich for 4-5 minutes (pan is hot now) until it too is golden brown. Second side cooks much faster so watch carefully.
- Remove pan from heat when sandwiches are done. Use your spatula to cut the sandwiches in half and serve hot.