Slow Cooker chili is always a hit. It is such a simple dish to make and such a great dish to share. The best things is that you can change the meat, change the spices, and you have a whole new chili dish! Play with this and make something new just for you!
This is also a great fall dish as you can serve it during a football party. Serve it over hot baked potatoes, tortilla chips, or crispy home-baked potato chips. It’s all up to you!
My family loves chili. I have one that doesn’t care for beans and one that doesn’t like big chunks of stuff in her chili. So, I try to balance it out by not putting in too many beans or using big chunks of vegetables. If your family likes lots of vegetables go ahead and load it up! Try some summer squash or zucchini in it or even carrots cut up in the dish.
I served this with garlic bread for dipping.
Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 54 oz. canned tomatoes, petite diced, whole, and sauce mix
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Toppings: (as desired) shredded cheddar cheese, shredded Colby cheese, sour cream, red onions, green onions, bacon bits
Substitutions or additions as desired:
Veggie chili – leave out meat and add chopped vegetables as desired.
Southwest Chili – add 1 tablespoon cumin, 2 cans corn – drained, substitute black beans for kidney beans, and add a can of green chilies if desired.
Taco Chili – add 1 tablespoon cumin, exchange kidney beans for black beans, serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and hot sauce.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks and onions. Drain off grease, save 1 tablespoon, and add to slow cooker bowl.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of grease in skillet. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Do not burn!
- Add to bowl of slow cooker with all other ingredients. Stir well and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Serve hot with toppings as desired.