With the new year fast approaching and football playoff season right around the corner in the US I am always looking for simple appetizers and finger foods that I can serve without a lot of fuss.
This dish is super easy to make but if you are having tacos before you make this appetizer make extra meat to make this even easier to make.
It was a good dish that is served at room temperature so there is no need to worry about heating it up in the oven or keeping it on ice. In our house it does not last long enough to need to be refrigerated.
This is great to customize with tomato, olives, onions, lettuce, whatever you like on your tacos. Cut it into small bite size pieces and you have an easily passed or buffet item.
Tip: We all agreed that this pizza was best drizzled with a medium or hot taco sauce over the top. You can use salsa but we all thought the flavor the taco sauce added was a better fit for what we were looking for.
- 2 (8 count) tubes crescent dough or 2 sheets of crescent roll dough
- 1 (8 oz) brick cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder+
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade seasonings)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup mozarella cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- toppings as you desire: olives, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, minced onions, etc….
- Roll our crescent dough on a rimmed baking sheet (18″ x 13″) sealing seams together by pressing down. Bake according to package directions until golden brown on top and bottom. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat breaking it into tiny pieces as it cooks. Drain any excess grease from pan. Add water according to package directions on taco mix. Mix until most liquid is absorbed. Allow this to cool completely.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese, sour cream and garlic (to taste – I always add more but some people don’t like as much).
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the crust.
- Top with cooled meat, your choice of toppings and drizzle with taco sauce. Cut into small bite size pieces and serve.