The lower the pantry cupboards and freezer gets the harder it is to come up with quick easy meals. I am scouring the cupboards and freezer trying to put things together that make sense. We have quite a few cans of beans, tomatoes, and corn left from the November canned goods sale at our local store. I bought 2 cases of each back in November and still have some left. I will admit I did stop at the store to buy blue cheese crumbles to top this dish off. Everyone in my family (expect me!) loves blue cheese and I thought it would be a great way to top the dish.
This would be a great dish to serve at a football party. Make a small serving station with all the different toppings and let people serve themselves from the slow cooker! Hearty and super simple to make!
This was one of those super hearty meals that we all loved. It was just spicy enough for most of us but my son could add all the extra hot sauce he wanted to his bowl. If you are afraid of the spiciness cut back on the hot sauce and add it in as you are taste testing it at the end.
We had this with a green side salad to complete our meal.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans or kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s)
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- For Serving (as desired): blue cheese crumbles, cheddar cheese, sour cream, extra hot sauce, tortilla chips, celery and carrot slices, etc….
- In a large slow cooker place chicken, chicken stock, beans, corn, tomatoes, hot sauce, ranch dressing mix, onion powder, garlic powder in the bottom. Stir well. Lay the block of cream cheese on the top of the mixture. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken to shred or dice. Return chicken to slow cooker. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until cornstarch dissolves. Add to slow cooker and stir well. Turn slow cooker up to high and cover for 15 – 20 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Serve with toppings as desired.