So, you may read this recipe and think I have completely lost my mind. Mayonaisse and jalepenos in a corn salad? Yes, this was delicious. My kids gave me the cross-eyed look when I served it to them but once they tried it they were shocked at how much they really liked it. It also pairs perfectly with the empanadas that we made the other night.
The salty taste of the cheese with creaminess of the mayonaisse was delicious. The jalepenos added a bit of heat. Taste the salad as you go to make sure you like the amount of spices and spiciness. Leave the membrane in the pepper if you want it spicier or add more chili powder or a dash of cayene pepper.
If you do not have Cojita cheese you can substitute grated Parmesan cheese or a small amount of crumbled feta cheese. The salty taste is what you are looking for.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (15 oz) cans corn or 4 cups of corn from the cob
- 1 jalepeno, small, seeded and diced finely
- 3 tablespoons mayonaisse
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons + Cojita cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add corn and stir. Allow corn to brown on one side then stir well and brown on the other side.
- Add jalepeno to corn mix and allow to warm through.
- Remove pan from heat and place corn in a bowl. Stir in mayonaisse, garlic, lime juice, cheese, and chili powder. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Serve immediately warm or place in refrigerator and serve cold. This is your preference both ways are acceptable.