I love smoked sausage or Kielbasa. My family is a bit indifferent to it. I could eat it 3-4 nights a week and not care. So, when I serve it I kind of have to mix it into other things. We often have it with eggs, or potatoes, even macaroni and cheese. This is their favorite way to eat sausage.
Tip: This makes a HUGE pan of macaroni and cheese for a large group or plenty of leftovers.
- 2 package smoked sausage or Kielbasa, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 (16 oz) box pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups whole milk or a combination with 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13″ x 9″ pan with non-stick spray.
- Add sausage to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned. Remove sausage from skillet; keep warm.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse and keep warm.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in cheese stirring until cheese melted.
- Stir in sausage and cooked macaroni. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs mixed with melted butter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are bubbling.