Saturday morning breakfasts usually are rather simple in our house. We are usually running to some place or other. But, this week we had NOTHING! I had a package of Hawaiian rolls to use up so I picked up a roll of breakfast sausage to make some breakfast sandwiches for the kids. They were a nice start to our day. We had a nice sit down breakfast and then headed out to clean, get homework done and my daughter went to work. Perfect start to our day.
I make these from time to time with different fillings. I only had 9 slices of sausage so three of the rolls were just egg and cheese on the rolls. The egg and cheese rolls were delicious too. The sausage was good but a bit heavy for me. The kids really liked it.
- 1 (12 roll) package of Hawaiian Rolls
- 1 (16 oz) roll breakfast sausage, cut and cooked according to package directions
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, sliced into 8-10 slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Cut the rolls horizontally so the tops and bottoms are separate. Place the bottom layer in the casserole dish.
- Cover bottom layer with one layer of sliced cheddar cheese.
- Top with cooked sausages.
- Beat eggs and milk together until light and fluffy. Cook in a skillet over medium high heat. Try not to break the eggs up too much. You want them in large pieces.
- Once eggs are cooked place on top of sausages.
- Lay remaining cheese over the eggs.
- Lay the top of the rolls on the cheese.
- Mix butter and maple syrup together in a small bowl. Brush lightly across the top rolls.
- Bake rolls for 12-15 minutes until rolls are warmed through and tops are browned.
- Remove rolls from oven and serve warm.