I love chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. It has been my favorite dessert since I was a little girl. Every birthday and special occasion this is what I wanted for dessert. Though my tastes have expanded the last few years and I choose other cakes now will still return to a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for pure comfort.
My favorite chocolate cake is Wegman’s chocolate cakes in their bakery. This cake is very similar. The frosting isn’t the same (I need to work on that) but the cake is very close. I loved that my family made this for me because we are 300 miles from the closest Wegman’s. This cake reminds me of all the cakes I had growing up and is the recipe my family has used for 40 years. I think it came from the Hershey’s can or cookbook.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter*
- 2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (using cocoa powder to avoid that white film on the cake) two 9″ layer cake pans.
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to bowl and beat for two minutes until well combined about two minutes.
- Stir in boiling water, batter will be thin, until fully incorporated.
- Divide evenly between pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until skewer comes out clean when inserted in center of cakes.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing from pans to completely cool.
- Beat cocoa and butter together in a bowl.
- Add sugar. milk, and vanilla extract to bowl and beat on low until moist. Beat until smooth.
- Frost cakes as desired.