My mother-in-law used to make queso from a recipe on a Rotel can. She would make it and put it in a small pot over a flame to keep warm and all the kids would love to dip their chips in it almost like a fondue. It was a bit spicy but the family loved it. This recipe reminds me of that dish. It is chicken spaghetti mixed with that queso dip.
Lots of families have some version of this dish. Leave out the tomatoes if you like or if you don’t want it as spicy use mild rotel instead of hot.
Also, this is a great meal for busy days because you can cook the chicken breast a day or two before and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. I try to cook some extra chicken on days when I have extra time for meals like this.
This was a great compromise for my family. It was spicy but not overly spicy and yet my son could add hot sauce over the top and be content with the heat. We love the flavor and how easy the casserole was to make. My daughter was a bit weirded out by the texture of the Velveeta cheese product but in the end she liked the flavor of the dish.
I served this with green beans as a side to complete the meal.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 pound Velvetta Cheese. cubed (for cheesier spaghetti you can add extra Velveeta)
- 1 can Rotel, do not drain
- 1/2 cup milk or fat-free half and half
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Shred chicken and place in a large bowl. Cook spaghetti according to the package instructions.
- While you are cooking the spaghetti, prepare the sauce by placing the cream of chicken soup, Velvetta cheese, Rotel and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until cheese is completely melted.
- Drain spaghetti and toss with chicken and sauce until well mixed. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with cheddar cheese. Melt butter in microwave and mix with bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.