We are down to ground beef and chicken breasts in the freezer. We have been busy this month with two graduation parties and a weekend away for a dance competition. So, funds are stretched thin and I am trying to stretch things a bit farther. I am looking in the pantry for somethings that would help me make meals a bit different from the usual.
With some ground beef, corn, taco sauce and a can of green chiles I had the start to a good meal.
I liked that my son could add hot sauce to this dish while my daughter, who is spice intolerant, thought this was perfect. My son made this dinner so it was very simple to put together and he was very proud that he made dinner beginning to end.
I served this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (omit if your family does not like spicy seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small can green chiles, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 small packages (4 rolls each) or 1 large roll crescent rolls
- taco sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9″ x 9″ casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Once ground beef is cooked through drain any grease from the pan.
- Add chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, water, salt, and black pepper to pan. Stir well and let water cook off.
- Add green chiles and corn to pan. Stir until just heated through remove from heat.
- Take 1 package of the crescent rolls or 1/2 large package to cover the bottom and sides of the casserole dish. Seal any holes as well as possible.
- Pour the beef mixture into the casserole dish.
- Top with taco sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Use remaining crescent rolls to seal the top of the casserole dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is browned and center is hot.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.