I was told this was the perfect weeknight meal. Though I would usually make my own cream of chicken soup mixture I decided to use a can. This was super simple to put together. The hardest part was waiting the 45-60 minutes for it to bake.
I was really ready to hate this dish. I LOVE stuffing but the chicken with cheese and canned soup over the top? It just sounded weird. I was wrong. The chicken bakes up nice and juicy while the stuffing is perfectly cooked. I was so surprised at how much my entire family liked this dish.
I served this with green beans and a nice green salad to complete the meal.
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c. milk
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese slices or freshly shredded cheese
- 2 c. dry stuffing mix, not the red box but a bagged stuffing mix
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded down slightly to 1″ and cut into strips or cubes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl mix together milk and cream of chicken soup.
Place chicken breasts (cut into strips and cubes) in a 8×8 inch glass baking dish. Pour chicken soup mixture over chicken breasts. Layer cheese on top and then sprinkle stuffing over the cheese. Pour butter over the stuffing.
Bake for 30 minutes uncovered and then cover for the remainder of the cooking time. Bake until chicken is cooked through and stuffing is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.