It seems March Madness for us has to do with our schedules. Between dance for St. Patrick’s Day (the life of an Irish dance mom), a play, festival for Orchestra, work (I am still doing taxes), and just general life we are super busy. Still looking to keep dinners simple and yet still tasty. I can’t stand boring food.
This is spicy but with great flavor. The heat comes at the end so if you don’t want it too spicy cut back the red pepper in the dish. You can change-up this dish by changing up the vegetables in it to what you have in your refrigerator. Add mushrooms, onions, whatever you like to change the dish to your liking.
Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
Slightly spicy and deliciously sweet.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1-2 cups cornstarch (to coat chicken)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups broccoli, florets
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper
- green onions for garnish, if desired
- rice or rice noodles, for serving if desired
- Add a dash of vegetable oil to the skillet. Fry vegetables until crisp tender. Remove from pan to plate.
- Coat the cut up chicken in the cornstarch. Refrigerate for 30 or so minutes to make sure the cornstarch sticks to the chicken.
- While the chicken is refrigerating mix up the sauce. In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, chicken broth, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add vegetable oil to a frying pan. Fry up the chicken in small batches to avoid steaming, letting drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain off oil from pan, then add the sauce and the chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables at end to coat in sauce and warm before serving. Garnish with the green onions and serve over rice or rice noodles as desired.