I love these cakes. They are super simple and you can make them in so many combinations of flavors. We went for the more traditional yellow cake with chocolate pudding and a chocolate ganache. The kids were chomping at the bit for it even before dinner started.
These are simple and fun. The simple yellow cake and chocolate pudding were so good!
A simple dessert tht you can vary to suit your tastes.
- 1 yellow cake mix and ingredients to make cake (or your favorite flavor cake)
- 2 (5.9 oz) packages of chocolate instant pudding (or your favorite flavor to complement your cake)
- 3 cups fat-free half and half
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Bake cake mix according to directions on package and allow to cool completely.
- After the cake has cooled poke holes in the top of the cake using the large end of a spoon handle.
- Mix chocolate pudding and half and half together until smooth. Pour the pudding over the cake and allow it to seep into the holes of the cake.
Chop the chocolate and add it to a large microwave safe bowl. Set aside.
Pour the heavy whipping cream into a second microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds or so. Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t bubble over in the microwave (you don’t want to scald the milk!)
Pour the warm heavy whipping cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Start whisking slowly in the middle of the bowl, and continue whisking gently.
Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before using on a dessert.