The weather has finally cleared this weekend and it is down right gorgeous! The temperatures have been in the mid 70s to low 80s. Not too muggy and the temperatures at night are dipping into the low 60s and high 50s. The windows have been open and I love sleeping in the fresh air.
We were busy so dinner was a bit later than normal but it was simple and delicious!
I love one pot meals. The ingredient list looks long but it is mostly canned items and seasonings all very simple. You can make this spicier by adding hot sauce after it is finished and maybe a dollop of sour cream on top to cool it down!
Mexican Rice (One Pot)
A flavorful dish made in one pot.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large pepper (green or red – your choice)
- 1 (28 oz) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (5 oz) can green diced chiles, (mild or hot – your choice)
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rice medium-grain
- beef stock to make 2 cups with tomato juice from canned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in a large pot. Once ground beef is almost cooked through add onion and red/green pepper to pot. Stir and cook until onions turn translucent.
- Drain off any grease from the meat. Drain juice from tomatoes into a cup measuring. Add enough beef stock to make 2 cups of liquid. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, beef stock, rice, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and Cayenne pepper to pot. Stir well. Cover and allow rice to cook. Stir frequently and if dish seems dry before rice cooks add more beef stock in 1/4 cup increments until rice is cooked through.
- Add corn and stir well just as rice is finishing cooking. Remove rice from heat and taste rice and adjust spices as needed. Once rice is thoroughly spiced sprinkle cheese over the top of the rice and cover too melt cheese.
- Serve hot with extra cheese if desired.