We are still on the 9:00 pm dinner schedule but looking towards heading back to school in 4 weeks. Where did the summer go? We are trying to keep summer going as long as possible so dinner doesn’t even get started cooking until at least 8:00 pm or later. This would be a great meal for back to school. My son said it was Hamburger Helper only better.
A very simple meal that is hearty and stick to your ribs. Both kids ate two bowls and we still had a bit leftover for lunch the next day.
We served this with green beans and a green side salad.
Creamy Beef and Shells
A simple stick to your ribs dish.
- 1 lb. medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 6 oz cream cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 1/2 cups
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain.
- While pasta is cooking heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion to the skillet cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with side of the spoon, until meat is browned and cooked through. Drain any grease from the pan.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in beef stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and cream cheese until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cheese until melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.