I have wanted to make lasagna the past few weekends but we have been super busy. I finally decided to give in and make a skillet lasagna with all the cheesy goodness of a lasagna. Most of the time the skillet lasagnas don’t have enough cheese for me so I incorporate ricotta just like homemade lasagna and cross it with like a boxed lasagna mix (only better!).
This is a great way to make a weekday lasagna. One pan to make the whole thing and you get the wonderful flavors of lasagna! You can use sausage, ground beef, or leave the meat out all together.
I served this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
Cheesy Italian Sausage Skillet Lasagna
A simple skillet meal with lots of ricotta and Mozzarella cheese!
- 1 1/2 lb bulk Italian Sausage, or sausage removed from casings
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 12 ounces of pasta, I used ruffles to make it look more like lasagna
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook Italian sausage and onions over medium heat, breaking the meat into small pieces with the back of a spoon, until meat is cooked through. Drain off the grease.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, water, garlic, basil, oregano, and pasta.
- Heat meat mixture to boiling, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a small bowl mix together ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
- Spread ricotta cheese topping over the top of the pasta mixture in a smooth layer. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and simmer until cheese has melted and is warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to sit for 3 minutes prior to serving.