I hope you can all be a bit patient with me the next few weeks. I knocked my computer off my desk the other day and broke the point where it connects to the charger. So, until I can see if they can fix it I am learning to post on my phone and try to edit photographs on my phone. This is my first attempt. Too light but I am learning.
In trying to make our meals a bit more efficient I am going back to meal planning and preparing ahead for a few days of meals when I can. The other day I made Lemon Garlic Swordfish with baked potatoes. It is simple to add more potatoes to the oven to bake and have on hand for another meal. Dicing hearty vegetables ahead of time or shredding cheese are some other things that are easy for you or your kids to do ahead of time
I took the baked potatoes and cut them up to fry (skins and all) for these breakfast bowls. The best part is that there are so many different combinations you can make of this dish that you can make one a week and not really tire of it.
My family loves these bowls. Adding the potatoes makes them heartier but you can change the potatoes to diced sweet potatoes or leave the potatoes out all together.
Choose a meat, one to three veggies, a cheese, and your favorite mixture of spices that would taste great with your meat and cheese.
So simple and so good!
2 – 2 1/2 lbs Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes, cooked and diced into small bite size pieces, I used leftover baked potatoes
Meat (choose one) – 1 – 2 cups
- Breakfast Sausage
- Italian Sausage
- Corned Beef
- Roast Beef
- Ground Turkey
- Ground Beef
Vegetables (choose 1 to 3)
- onion (diced)
- red, green, or yellow peppers (diced)
- mushrooms (sliced)
- brocccoli (chopped)
- carrots (shredded)
Cheese (choose one) – 1/2 to 1 cup plus extra for topping as desired
- extra sharp cheddar (shredded)
- feta (crumbled)
- bleu cheese (crumbled)
- Swiss (shredded)
- pepper jack (shredded)
- Monteray jack (shredde)
Spices (combine in a small bowl your favorites)
- black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
12 eggs – beaten well is a bowl
Olive Oil or butter, as needed to keep ingredients from sticking to pans
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add potatoes and allow to fry until browned. Stir and continue to cook until potatoes are browned. Add butter or a bit of olive oil as needed to pan to keep from sticking.
- In a second smaller skillet add olive oil or butter to warm over medium heat. Add vegetables to pan and stir until vegetables are tender. Remove pan from heat.
- Remove vegetables from small skillet and set vegetables aside. Warm meat over medium heat until warmed through. Break into small pieces as needed. Remove pan from heat.
- Once potatoes are well browned add a bit of oil or butter to the pan. Allow to warm over medium heat. Add eggs, cheese, vegetables, and meat to the pan. Stir well to scramble eggs and mix all ingredients.
- Once eggs are cooked to your liking and all ingredients are warm remove from heat and serve hot with extra cheese, salt, and black pepper as desired.