Yes, that is our Christmas tree. It is now a Valentine’s Day tree. Notice the red and white ornaments. Our cat loves sleeping under the tree and we just couldn’t take it away from her. She has her own little tunnel in underneath it and she has move the tree skirt to her liking. She is such a good baby that we decided to start decorating it for all the holidays. Later this month it is green ornaments for St. Patrick’s Day – our favorite holiday of the year!
Sometimes we just crave comfort food. I am always hesitant because sometimes it can take hours to make especially if you are craving meat, gravy, and carbs. This is one of favorite go to comfort dishes because it comes together fairly easily and you can use frozen vegetables so you don’t need to cut the vegetables. A huge plus in my book!
This is a hit! The family loved the chicken gravy and the biscuits brushed with butter and garlic added a deeper flavor to the biscuits. For the gravy you can add a bit of garlic or extra thyme if you want even more flavor. This was a perfect comfort food dinner for us.
I served this with a side of sliced raw vegetables to complete the meal.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed or shredded
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cook for 3-5 until onions start to turn translucent. Stir often or garlic will burn. Whisk in the flour to the onions and garlic. Allow the flour to cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk the chicken broth and milk into the flour mixture. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes while mixture bubbles and thickens. Stir in the shredded chicken, vegetables, and seasonings.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, melted butter and milk. Stir in the shredded cheddar.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Working quickly, drop the cheddar biscuits on top of the casserole evenly. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, until the biscuits are cooked through.
- Stir together butter, garlic powder and parsley in a small bowl and brush over the tops of the cooked biscuits. Serve warm.