It’s Breakfast for Dinner Thursday! My family has been talking quite a bit about cannolis recently so I was thinking of making a cannoli stuffed pancake or a cannoli breakfast casserole but I didn’t have the right kind of cheese on hand to make something like that. What I did have though was croissants from Aldi. They had been on sale for $1.69 for 6 so I bought 2 boxes. I ended up using a box and a half – 9 medium croissants in this dish. So, what to make with them? A pseudo French Toast Casserole/Chocolate Croissant Casserole.
This is a super indulgent breakfast casserole. It could be a dessert too! My entire family loved it and the croissants added a different texture and butteryness to the dish. Super sweet it really doesn’t need syrup or butter over the top like most French toast like casseroles. I added just a bit to mine but I love butter.
Needless to say the entire family wants me to make this again and mix up the filling. I am thinking a ham and cheese next time for a bit more savory than sweet.
I served this with a fruit salad to make me feel a bit better about the meal.
- 1 (12 to 16-oz) package mini croissants, chopped
- 2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whole milk or fat-free half and half
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle croissant pieces in pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the croissant pieces..
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in bowl until smooth and creamy. Add milk and mix until combined. Pour evenly over croissant pieces.
- Let stand 20 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.set Serve warm with powdered sugar, plain, or with butter and maple syrup.