Day 9 – Things are still going okay here. We have each had our time of uncertainty and a bit of a melt down about how things are now but thankfully we have each had others around us to lift us up and not let us sink into despair. I hear about so many people that are home alone right now and have no outlet for help. I heard of people inviting them to dinner, virtually. You each make your dinner and then set up Facetime or Zoom or something else so that you can have dinner together. Sit and talk to each other. We all need each other more than ever and need to find new ways to reach out to those who may be isolated.
My parents are 12 hours away from me and I call them each day now. I cannot physically help them but I can mentally and emotionally help them by telling stories about the kids and reminiscing with them about the Blizzard of ’77 when we were snowed in for 10 days. I don’t know how this ties to the dinner but it has been on my mind lately.
So the chicken in this is okay but make this dish for the rice. OMG! We have decided to make the rice to go with other dishes. We finally hit the perfect dish of rice that my whole family will eat. Even the rice hating girl asked for seconds.
We served this with a green salad and sliced vegetables to complete the meal.
1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken tenderloins
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch, red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (plus extra for topping and serving as desired)
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper to taste and garlic powder. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté chicken tenderloins until nicely browned and just cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet, cover chicken with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Add butter, garlic, and pepper flakes to the skillet then stir for 3 minutes (do not let the garlic burn or become too brown).
- Increase skillet temperature to medium-high then add white wine. Whisk the wine into the butter and garlic. Cook and stir for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Remove pan from heat and set aside 2 tablespoons of pan sauce to use later.
- Add rice to skillet then stir and cook for 3-4 minutes or until rice starts to turn golden. Add chicken broth to rice. Bring mixture to a low boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan then cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir once or twice while cooking to avoid the rice from sticking to the skillet.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over rice then arrange chicken tenders in skillet over rice. Drizzle reserved 2 tablespoons of pan sauce over chicken tenders. Cover, remove from heat then let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish dish with more Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley if desired.