Day 52 – The weather has been super nice here for the past few days. It has gone to 60 or 70 degrees from the low to mid 40s of the past month. It seems like everyone is outside. We live on a corner and the traffic has definitely picked up quite a bit. It almost seems back to pre-pandemic days. We stay pretty much on our property. The kids go to the backyard or to the porch off our room to work or dance. They may go for a bike ride or walk by themselves in the evening but it is still alone or with our family. I see kids outside playing and meeting up downtown or at the beach as we drive by. I hope they are safe. It worries me. I know kids mostly fare better but they are not invincible.
We pulled the grill out to begin our grilling season! Yeah! I love grilling because it is so delicious and so easy to cook. I was looking for something a bit different and ran across a recipe for Tandoori Chicken. Of course I had to make it my own because I didn’t have the fresh spices it called for and wanted to blend what we had on hand and grill it. This is what we came up with.
My entire family loved it! These were a great blend of spices and flavors. I am entirely sure this is NOT authentic but boy did it taste good! I served this with naan, tzatziki and lots of grilled vegetables and feta for a deliciously simple meal.
Tip: When grilling vegetables make your skewers all one kind of vegetables so that some are not over cooked while some are still raw. They will cook evenly and ALL your veggies will be cooked to your liking. Brush them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder before grilling.
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 1/2″ to 2″pieces
- Naan, feta, vegetable skewers such as – onion, mushrooms, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes for serving
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cucumber, seedless preferrably, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons dill (plus or minus to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (plus or minus to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, garlic, ginger, paprika, coriander, cumin, tumeric, cloves, cayenne, salt and pepper together. Add chicken to sauce and toss until they are completely covered. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once chicken is done marinating, remove from marinade. Discard marinade. Thread chicken onto wooden or metal skewers.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes on each side, turning occasionally until chicken registers 160F, about 10 minutes of cook time total. Keep chicken warm until serving.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients until well blended Taste and adjust spices to your liking. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve tandoori chicken with tzatziki sauce.