One of our go-to meals when we are in a hurry is grilled cheese. My kids love grilled cheese. When they were little they did not want quesadillas though. So, we renamed them Mexican grilled cheese and they were happy to eat them! Sometimes just a change in description will help them eat something.
My daughter is back to dance in person (with masks) so that is an hour drive each way four days a week. My son just applied for a job. I am reevaluating my place in life. At the end of the next school year we will have an empty nest. I am looking forward to it but what does that mean for me? I don’t just stop being a mother after 20 years but where do I fit in?
Verdict: I love that we can make this as spicy or as bland as we like by varying the amount and brand of hot sauce and Cayenne pepper we add to the sauce. I usually try for a medium/mild hint of spice. Enough so that you can tell they are spicy but not so hot your lips burn.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cooked (leftovers or rotisserie work great for this)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper, as desired
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup+ hot sauce, I used Frank’s
- 10 medium soft flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- butter, for frying
- sour cream, salsa, etc… for toppings
- In a small bowl mix the garlic powder, Cayenne pepper, butter and hot sauce. Taste and adjust to liking.
- Shred or cut chicken breast into small bit size pieces and place is a large bowl. Toss chicken with sauce until well coated.
- In a medium skillet over medium, butter one side of a tortilla and place buttered side down in the skillet. Top with 1/5 of the chicken and cheeses sprinkled over the tortilla leaving 1/2″ around the edges. Top with a tortilla buttered on one side. Buttered side facing up.
- When bottom tortilla is slightly brown and crispy carefully flip quesadilla to other side. Allow to brown and cheese to melt.
- Remove from pan and keep warm in oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining ingredients from step 3.