Yes, we grill even in winter. The temperatures have moderated into the 30s with no snow and wind so it is perfect to grill. Last year’s year of grilling has slowed down and I am still trying to figure where I am headed with this year. I am thinking next year will be the year of eating for two. What to do when your family starts to shrink? How do you cook for two or shop for two? I am so used to feeding growing kids including a teenage boy so it will have a learning curve.
Maybe this is the year of comfort foods. That can have many forms. Tacos are comfort food for some.
Verdict: These were a hit! The marinade added great flavor to the chicken which was juicy and tender. I marinated the chicken for about 4 hours but you can go 8-12 hours if you like. The longer it marinates the better the meat soaks up the flavor. After the chicken breasts were cooked I let them rest a few minutes before cubing the chicken for the tacos. If you have really small taco shells you may wish to mince it after it is cooked.
I made a simple black bean refried beans to go with the tacos. All of my bean hating and refried bean hating family members actually liked these. I think because of the flavor and that I could make them as “mushy” or solid as I chose.
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Refried Black Beans
- 1 1/2 – 2 pound Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless pounded to 1/2-3/4 inch thickness
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon2 paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- Taco Shells, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, taco sauce, onions, etc… as desired to make tacos
Refried Black Beans:
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teapsoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon +lime juice
Directions for Tacos:
- Add the chicken, garlic, olive oil, lime, spices, and cornstarch to a large bowl or zip-seal bag.
- Place in fridge and let marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Place chicken on a grill or pan heated to medium-high heat. Let chicken cook until it is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot with taco shells and toppings as desired.
Directions for Black Beans:
- In a saucepan over medium heat add chicken stock, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add beans and stir well.Bring mixture to a boil.
- After mixture boils reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.During cooking, use a potato masher or fork to “mash” the beans. It is up to you how smooth or lumpy you want your beans to be.
- Continue cooking and mashing until you have reached your desired thickness and consistency. Once desired consistency is reached remove from heat.
- Add lime juice and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes covered (if you leave it uncovered the beans will continue to thicken).