We are still loving all the desserts! I love Poke Cakes because you can make so many different cakes from one idea. This cake was requested by my wife the other night when she was craving Boston Creme Donuts. It gives you the flavor of the Boston Creme Pie or Donuts without the heaviness. I actually prefer the cake because it isn’t so heavy.
If you are looking for the taste of a Boston Creme Donut or Pie without all the work this may help. It is super simple to make and you can change the pudding or icing to make all sorts of different flavor cakes. Tuxedo? Chocolate Pudding with Cream Cheese Frosting. Strawberry? Vanilla cake, strawberry pudding and frosting (add cut up strawberries as desired). So many possibilities.
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus ingredients on box for making cake
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes of Instant Pudding – preferably French Vanilla, Boston Cream Pie, Custard, or Creme Brulee flavored
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (16 oz) can chocolate fudge frosting
- Make and bake cake according to package directions on box for 9″x13″ rectangle cake. Remove cake from oven when done.
- While cake is still warm poke holes across the entire cake using the back of a wooden spoon or something similar. You want fairly large holes that will allow the pudding to seep into the cake all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- While cake is cooling make the pudding. Beat until thick and smooth. Frost the cake with the pudding pushing down into the holes as able.
- Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- Once pudding has set remove from refrigerator. Remove cover and all aluminum foil from can of frosting. Microwave for 10-15 seconds and stir. Once pudding becomes soft and able to be poured from can let it sit until it can still be poured but not bubbling hot. You don’t want to melt the pudding.
- Pour over cake and lightly spread across the cake. Allow cake to cool before returning to refrigerator to set.
- Slice and serve once fully cooled.