This sounds strange but it uses up our pieces of things before they go bad in the vegetable drawer. I always start with the same basic pasta recipe and then I try to remember to pull out the pepper, one carrot, spinach, etc… before it starts to go bad and put it on a shelf where I will see it. If I leave it in the vegetable drawer they tend to get overlooked so I put it where it stares me in the face and I can use it up. This is the pasta dish we make to use up all those pieces of fresh veggies and and jars – what to do with 1/4 jar of roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes – add it to a pasta dish! Whatever you have in the refrigerator that sounds good to you!
Verdict: My daughter made dinner and was so happy with how it turned out. You really cannot see it in the picture but it was spinach, mushrooms, onions and julienned carrots. She also learned that what looks like too much spinach in a pan does not mean too much when wilted down. This is a good learning pasta for what you like and amounts to cook.
- 1 (16oz) box pasta
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more if needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- items in your veggie drawer (as much or as little as you like)
- carrots, thinly sliced
- mushrooms, thinly sliced
- onion, thinly sliced
- peppers, thinly sliced
- squash, thinly sliced
- any other veggies to your liking
- Leftover jars, such as: (use in any combination that sounds good to you)
- roasted red peppers, sliced
- sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Giardiniera – drained and chopped
- Cheeses for toppings or sauce as desired:
- other to your liking
- Extra sauces as desired:
- other to your liking
- The secret to this pasta is to cook each layer so they all finish together. Start by boiling the water for the pasta as you start your heartier vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, etc… in olive oil. Then as that cooks enough you can remove it to a bowl off the heat. Cook each layer ending with the garlic, onions, and spinach things that cook quickly. Once all layers of veggies are cooked and the pasta is cooked You return all the veggies to the pan with the pasta and your chosen sauce or cheese. Allow to come to warm. Top with extra cheese if desired.
- Serve hot.