Every Thursday is breakfast for dinner in our house. I love a flavorful breakfast casserole. It is hearty and and will keep me full the rest of the night. I forget to make these casseroles for dinner as they are supposed to rest over night and then you bake them for breakfast, right? Well, I can make one in the morning and let it rest all day while we are at work and school and then bake it for dinner! Slap to the forehead!
Verdict: This has a nice apple pie flavor. Both kids mentioned wanting to top it with a drizzle of powdered sugar mixed with milk to make a simple glaze over the top. This was rich and hearty. I prefer to use a bakery loaf of bread not supermarket bagged bread. They are just not the same to make these casseroles. If you are using all these ingredients go for the better choice in breads.
Serve with a side of fruit salad to complete the meal.
- 1 lb loaf Sourdough Or French Bread, cut into chunks
- 3 cups apples, chopped (2-4 large apples)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Grease a 9″×13″ casserole dish with non-stick spray or butter.
- Spread the bread chunks and chopped apples in an even layer in the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, without the streusel topping, and pour evenly over bread. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight or all day if you are making for dinner.
- When ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for about 35-40 minutes.
- While casserole bakes combine the dry ingredients for the streusel. Add the butter and mash into the dry mixture until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the topping over the top of the casserole.
- Continue baking casserole for about 5 minutes, or until the topping melts.
- Serve the casserole warm with syrup and or butter to your liking.