Easy simple grill meals were calling to us the other night. I had a roast that was cut into cubes to marinate and skewer. We let it rest all day in the marinade to help tenderize it. When the grill was ready we added skewers of veggies (I prefer to cook one kind of veggie per skewer so they are all done at the same time and some don’t end up burnt and others raw), some Basmati rice, and my favorite balsamic reduction. YUMMMMMM!
Verdict: Once again we were reminded to use a good red wine you would drink in making the marinade. We had a bottle of wine in the back of the cupboard that I though was good for this but it was too oaky for our tastes. That made the marinade a bit too oaky for us. Remember to use what you like to drink in the marinade. Don’t like oaky tones in your wine you won’t like it in your marinade.
I added a green side salad to this meal to complete it.
Red Wine & Balsamic Vinegar Steak
- 2 lbs. roast or steak, cubed into 1″ to 1 1/2″ cubes
- 3/4 cup red wine, use a wine you would drink
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For Rice Dish:
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8oz) container mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- Basmati Rice
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place steak in a plastic resealable bag. Add all ingredients and rub into meat. Place bag or plastic covered bowl into refrigerator for 2 – 12 hours.
- While steak is resting cut vegetables into rough chop and skewer. Lightly rub vegetables with olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder.
- When ready to make meal begin cooking rice according to package instructions.
- Remove steak from marinade, discard marinade, and skewer meat. Cook meat and vegetables on grill until desired doneness is reached.
- Keep skewers warm in 170 degree oven until rice is cooked. Create balsamic reduction for topping by heating the 1 cup vinegar and 2 tablespoons honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and allow the reduction to reduce by half at a slow boil.
- Serve meat and veggies over rice with a drizzle of the the balsamic over the top.