I am ready for the soups, stews, and hearty casseroles but the weather says otherwise. This recipe uses the extra sausages leftover from our Spaghetti Squash with Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions (click for link to recipe). Cooking extra meat makes cooking two meals much easier. The hardest part of this meal is cooking the potatoes!
Verdict: Other than cooking the potatoes this meal comes together super easy. It adds some bulk to twice baked potatoes and makes them a full meal. We added a side salad to get some more greens to the meal.
Sausage and Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
- 3 large baking potatoes, cleaned and dried
- 3-4 Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat-free half and half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded (plus extra for topping if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pierce potatoes several times and place in oven for 45-60 minutes until a fork easily slides into the center of the potatoes. Remove potatoes from oven.
- Allow potatoes to cool until they can be handled. Cut potatoes in half horizontally. Scoop out centers into a bowl leaving just a thin bit of flesh with the skin.
- Mash the removed potato to smooth with sour cream, butter, salt and black pepper to taste. Taste and adjust spices to your liking. Stir in sausage, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Taste and adjust spices to liking.
- Place mashed potato mixture back into the 6 halves of the potatoes. Top with extra cheddar if desired.
- Place potatoes back in oven for 20-25 minutes until centers of potatoes are warmed. Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown tops if desired.