With both of my kids coming home this past weekend. They spent a total of 9 hours in the house together. My daughter had an Irish dance competition in Chicago so she got home at 10 pm and left the next morning at 7 am. By the time she got back on Sunday my son was already back at school. It was a short visit but the one thing they could both agree on was they wanted me to make homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner on Friday night.
Verdict: This is our favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. Even if I don’t follow it exactly I use this as a base for all our macaroni and cheeses. I don’t always use Velveeta because I don’t particularly care for it but use the measurements to change up the cheeses to what I like. I have used Swiss, Colby Jack, and all forms of cheddar. Try it with the cheeses you like!
Patti LaBelle's Over the Rainbow Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta , cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a deep 9″ x 13″ casserole dis.
- Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
- Stir half a cup of butter into the hot macaroni. Once butter starts to melt mix in the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses (reserve 1/2 cup of the cheeses for topping). Once the macaroni cools a bit and the cheeses are no longer melting turn the burner on to medium- low. Add the half-and-half, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Stir until all cheese and butter have melted.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese sauce into the casserole pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake until it’s bubbling around the edges, about 40-50 minutes. If you would like it slightly browned on top put it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Watch it carefully so that it does not burn. Serve hot.
3 Comments Add yours
Great looking Mac & Cheese. Yum!!
LikeLiked by 2 people
LikeLiked by 2 people