We just returned home from a week vacation back to New York. Though it was a fun time it was BUSY! We visited friends and laughed until our faces ached and our sides hurt. The kids danced in a Feis. We went to a 96th birthday dinner for my mother-in-law. Had an orthodontist appointment for my daughter. She may get her braces off at her next visit! And, visited with my parents who were on their way south. I am ever so happy to be home to rest.
So, dinner was whatever we had in the house which wasn’t much. I had to get creative and this is what we came up with, Pizza Hot Dogs. Served with a side of baby carrots and dip this was our first meal home.
- 8 hot dogs (use your favorite brand)
- 8 hot dog rolls
- 1 (8 oz.) jar pizza sauce
- grated cheese – I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar
- your favorite pizza toppings such as olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, Italian sausage (precooked), peppers, onions, etc…
- Cook your hot dogs as you normally would. Boil, broil, bake, grill, etc… We prefer ours on the George Foreman Grill.
- Turn your broiler to preheat.
- Once hot dogs are cooked line your hot dog roll with 1-2 TBSP of pizza sauce and any extra meat you are using pepperoni or Italian sausage.
- Place the hot dog on top of the sauce and or meats.
- Add your toppings and cheese. We did a little bowls of everything so each person made a personalized hot dog with all their favorite toppings.
- Once cheese has been placed over the top we used different markers for each one – My daughter’s above had the mushrooms on top, my son’s had olives – just so you can tell which goes with each person.
- Place hot dogs on cookie sheet and place in broiler until cheese melts and starts to brown. This may be as little as one minute so watch them closely!
- Remove from oven and serve.