Yes, another chicken dish. We still have quite a bit to use. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are $.88 a pound this week so we will be having quite a few dishes using those in the coming weeks.
Some days just scream comfort food. This was one of those days.
The kids and I started the day going to see Inside Out. We LOVED it! This was my third time seeing it and my daughter finally got to see the end of the movie. They had shown us 2/3 of it at the Walt Disney World Social Media Moms Conference. Because it was so near the end of the theater run we had the entire theater to ourselves. My son was able to laugh out loud, ask questions and just have fun watching the movie. We all cried and laughed.
Can’t pass up a day at the beach when it is like this!
We headed out to lunch in South Bend and then home. Practicing, a quick bike ride and a trip to the beach were on the schedule. The best way to get dinner on the table? My slow cooker. I wanted to have a nice meal on the table when we got home from the beach. Slow Cooker Chicken and Biscuits sounded like a huge hug to end the day with.
This was a hit. I wasn’t sure that another chicken dish would go over well but everyone ate two servings. They liked the flavor of the chicken and gravy and even my little biscuits. I overworked the dough so that the biscuits did not raise well but the flavor was still outstanding in the biscuits.
For my mostly gluten-free son I made biscuits from Pillsbury gluten-free baking mix. Other than that his meal was the same as everyone else.
I serve this dinner with a large salad.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 TBSP Morton’s Nature’s Seasonings
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 TBSP corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 8 rolled biscuits – I used The Joy of Cooking recipe (be careful not to over work the dough)
- Place chicken breasts, seasoning and chicken stock into slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Mix cornstarch and water into a slurry (cornstarch should dissolve in the water). Pour into chicken mixture and stir well. Turn slow cooker to high for 15 minutes.
- Check gravy and if not thick enough add 1 TBSP cornstarch dissolved in 2 TBSP of cold water. Stir well and let sit to thicken.
- Taste gravy and adjust spices as needed.
- Serve chicken and gravy over biscuits.