I made an Chocolate Eclair Cake (click for link to original recipe) a year and a half ago and the kids still mention it from time to time about how I need to make another one. I finally decided that I really wanted something chocolaty so I decided to try this cake again but using chocolate pudding instead of vanilla. Plus we were finally celebrating my daughter’s birthday dinner (two months late) and I thought a good dessert was in order.
I think I liked this better than the original cake. Everyone else said they thought is was just as good but I prefer chocolate to vanilla so that may have some bearing on my preference. I also liked that it took about 15 minutes to make and then just rested 8 hours in the refrigerator. You can make this in the morning or early afternoon and serve it for your picnic later in the day!
Chocolaty Eclair Cake
- 1 box of graham crackers
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes of vanilla instant pudding
- 3 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 12 oz. Cool Whip
- 6 TBSP butter
- 6 TBSP milk
- 6 TBSP cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat milk and vanilla pudding mix in a large bowl for 2 minutes.
- Fold in cool whip.
- In a 9×13 inch pan, layer graham crackers to cover entire bottom of pan.
- Pour 1/2 of the filling mixture over the graham crackers.
- Put another layer of graham crackers on top of mixture to cover entire surface. (Cut and shape accordingly.)
- Put the second half of pudding mixture on top and level.
- Put the final layer of graham crackers on top to cover entire surface with bumpy side down. (This will help the top look more smooth when you put the frosting on top. Again cut and shape accordingly.)
- In a separate bowl, microwave the butter and milk just long enough, that they are melted together.
- Add cocoa and powdered sugar and blend together well. (This is meant to be a runny frosting/glaze.)
- Pour frosting over top of graham crackers and smooth out nicely. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (or you will get a hole in it like my picture has).
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.