So I have finally decided to start doing something just for me. I joined a handbell choir. I have never played handbells before. It has been interesting. I realized I was being very hard on myself because I had a music degree I should be able to go in and pick this up like nothing. First of all there were all these notations on how to play the bells – thumb damp, martellato, echo…. that I had never seen before and the actual motion of playing the bells properly was a bit tricky to get down. I came home after the first rehearsal feeling a bit down about my abilities and my family looked at me and asked, “How long have you been doing this?” Yes, it was 2 hours but I was supposed to have this down! So, now I have taken a step back and am just enjoying spending a whole hour once a week with no one asking me to do anything other than to ring my middle C bell and my b bell.
My children asked if they had to go to my concerts. I told them yes. I go to every single one of their dance and music concerts and that they will do the same for me. That put an end to that discussion. 😉
So I made this for dinner the night I had handbells because it was so simple! I had my daughter pound down the chicken. I think she enjoyed that a little too much. Then my son put the dish together and made rice while the dish was baking.
This was a yummy, simple dish. Both kids loved that they had a hand in making it too. We added a little bit of butter to the rice and used the chicken juices from the bottom of the pan to pour over our rice. It was a nice flavorful dish.
I served this with brown rice, carrots and a green side salad to complete the meal.
Creamy Swiss Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, pounded down to 1/2 ” thick
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided (I usually say use freshly grated but green can kind if fine for this)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (more or less to your tastes)
- rice for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Place chicken breasts in one layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place the Swiss cheese over the top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Spread over the top of the Swiss cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese over the chicken.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes until chicken is cooked through and browning on top.
- Remove pan from oven serve over rice if desired.