I made this beautiful sauce the other day. I used it to make lasagna. It was great because I made the dish last night (boiled the noodles and assembled the dish) the covered it and put it in the refrigerator for dinner the next night. Tuesdays are one of our most crazy days though Wednesday is gaining ground on it but I had dinner ready to put in the oven. Add a salad, a baguette and dinner was ready!
I was surprised at how much I loved the lasagna. I am not a huge vegetable eater but this had so much flavor that I didn’t even notice all the vegetables individually.
If you have non-vegetable eaters you can puree this sauce into a smooth tomato sauce. But, it was delicious with the chunks of vegetables and spices. The sauce recipe can be found here (click for link to recipe). Make it in your slow cooker the day before and you can use it the next day for an easy meal. I made the lasagna the night before and baked it the next afternoon.
- 1 (12 oz) box lasagna noodles, cooked partially according to directions
- 1 (16 oz) container ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Vegetable sauce
- Prepare a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Spray with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread 1 – 1 1/2 cups sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish. Place 1 layer of noodles in the bottom of the pan completely covering the sauce.
- In a bowl blend ricotta cheese, egg, garlic powder, oregano, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese together. Spread mixture over noodles. Top with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place a layer of noodles in the opposite direction from the other layer of noodles. Cover with sauce and cheese. Place final layer on top in same direction as first layer. Cover with sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Spray aluminum foil with non-stick spray. Cover lasagna and refrigerate until ready to bake or bake.
- Bake for 50 minutes then uncover lasagna. Continue to bake until warmed through. It may take 20-40 additional minutes depending on the thickness of the layers.
- Remove from oven when baked. Allow to rest five minutes before serving.