I am all about easy dinners. This dish was perfect for us. I usually make enough food to have at least two servings of leftovers for lunch the next day. Not all of us will eat leftovers but there are a few dishes we end up fighting over who gets the leftovers this dish was one of them!
I would even recommend making the stuffing the night before you plan on using it to give the time for the flavors to meld. Even though you can make the stuffing and use immediately they will be much stronger and taste even better if allowed to sit at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
I wish that you could capture smells and tastes with pictures because this dish did not photograph well but it tasted amazing. It is cheese, bacon, onion and garlic! All of our favorite flavors together.
I served this with green beans, green salad and baked potato wedges to complete the meal.
Cheesy Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. bacon, cooked to crunchy and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon + garlic powder
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten on plate
- bread crumbs, for coating on plate
- flour, for coating on plate
- Mix softened cream cheese, bacon, garlic powder (additional to taste), and onion in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, if possible.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Slice chicken breasts to create a small pocket in the thickest part in the chicken.
- Stuff pocket with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese mixture.
- Once all chicken is stuffed coat each chicken breast in flour. Then dip in beaten egg. Lastly coat chicken with bread crumbs. Place chicken in pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and turn chicken over carefully. Use tongs on sides of chicken do not squeeze from top and bottom or stuffing will ooze out.
- Bake for another 20-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through. If desired, place chicken under broiler to brown a bit more.
- Remove pan from oven and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.