This is Kitty. The flood of news has me on hyper alert lately and I have been so very anxious that I am trying to avoid some of the news for the next day or two. So, I am posting pictures of kitties on Facebook right now to balance the flood of news I am seeing on my feed and trying to breathe, drink lots of water and just take care of myself in general. I know all this anxiety is effecting my body negatively and I need to counteract it. Besides, I think I have posted pictures of everyone in the family except Kitty. I call her Helper Kitty because she loves to help me make the bed by crawling on the sheets and blankets as I make the bed.
I am not a fan of chicken thighs and drumsticks. I don’t know why but they usually make me squeamish. I buy them though because they are inexpensive and I can feed my family a decent amount of food cheaply. I did figure out with this recipe that if I skin the drumsticks (which is VERY simple if you have a super sharp knife) I like the drumsticks much better. You can buy the drumsticks and thighs skinned if you like but here they tend to be $.60-$.75 more a pound. I can do it myself in a few minutes and it doesn’t bother me so I will not pay the extra.
It is also getting more and more difficult to make dinner without running out to buy an ingredient I don’t have in my freezer or pantry. Under my No Buy January I am really trying to clean out my freezer and pantry. I almost wasn’t able to make this dish but I found a bottle of soy sauce in the pantry! Score! I also found some great things I had totally forgotten about like a jar of pesto and a jar of tomato pesto that I plan on using later this week.
My family loved this meal. It was super simple to make and had tons of great flavor. The meat was just about to fall off the bone it was so tender. The sauce had soaked into the chicken and added a delicious soy, ginger and garlic flavor to the meat. The sauce as yummy over the brown rice I added as a side but you could just as easily have served this with chow mein noodles or rice noodles if you prefer.
I added a hearty green salad of spinach, mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes as a side and our meal was complete.
Slow Cooker Soy-Glazed Drumsticks
- 3 lbs. drumsticks, skinless (about 10-12 drumsticks)
- 1 (8 oz) bag baby carrots (carrots can be cut into chunks or strips if you prefer but I was too lazy so I threw mine in whole) 😀
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1″ fresh ginger, peeled and cut into strips or 1 teaspoon + of powdered ginger
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Rice or noodles for serving, if desired
- Place carrots and chicken in bowl of slow cooker.
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar, coriander, and black pepper together in a small bowl until well combined. Pour mixture over chicken and carrots.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker to a plate. Stir together corn starch and cold water until corn starch is dissolved. Slowly stir into the sauce in the slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. If sauce is not thick enough for you add more corn starch and water mixture 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste sauce and adjust flavor by adding salt, pepper, or garlic to your liking.
- Return chicken to sauce before serving.
- Serve over rice or noodles if desired.