With temperatures hovering near 60 this past week (in February!) it has seemed like a much-needed dose of early Spring. With the change in weather, however short-lived, I wanted picnic and summer food this week. So, I dug through my freezer to find some baby back ribs and started to make the whole summer dinner complete with Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad and Baked Beans.
This was just what the doctor ordered to get rid of those winter blues! The weather and food made us think it was June. This was my first time oven roasting ribs but it won’t be my last. It was so simple. I started with a dry rub and cooked it for 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours. Then put the barbecue sauce over the ribs and broiled it for 2-3 minutes. The ribs were perfectly done. Juicy and sticky. A perfectly delicious mess.
The Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad and brown baked beans were perfect sides for the ribs.
Oven Slow Roasted Ribs
- 5-6 lbs. ribs
- 1 (16 oz) jar of your favorite barbecue sauce or homemade sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (more or less to taste for heat)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, Prepare a baking sheet by laying ribs on a large sheet of aluminum foil. It will need to be enough to completely wrap the ribs in.
- In a bowl mix brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and Cayenne pepper until well blended. Rub over meat to completely cover it on both sides.
- Wrap ribs in aluminum foil and bake for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours until fork tender.
- Remove ribs from oven and unwrap. Coat with barbecue sauce and place ribs under broiler for 2 -3 minutes.
- Remove ribs from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.