I still had a whole turkey in the freezer and knew time was going to be tight this week. We roasted the turkey and split it up into portions to use and freeze. It has really helped make dinners (and lunches) a bit easier. Both of my kids thankfully love turkey sandwiches and happily will eat them for lunch or dinner. And it doesn’t need to be Thanksgiving to enjoy all those yummy Thanksgiving foods!
This recipe is a combination of a casserole that may family loves after Thanksgiving and the little slider sandwiches that are so easy to make. Remember I said try turning the things you like into new dishes. Casseroles into sandwiches, soups into casseroles or sandwiches into pizza. This was a casserole turned into sandwiches.
These were a hit! They are so simple to make once you have all the ingredients. Roasting the turkey and having some leftover stuffing made this a super simple meal. If you do not have leftover stuffing you can make the red box stuffing or a bag of your favorite herbed stuffing.
The mayo and cranberry sauce may sound weird to you (it did to me at first) but it was delicious! It adds a hint of sweetness to the dish. Perfect.
- 1 package Hawaiian rolls or dinner rolls, split horizontally into two pieces
- Roasted turkey, add as much as you like
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of stuffing
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup cranberry sauce (I prefer the chunky kind but jelly will work)
- 6 to 8 slices cheddar cheese (if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Place bottom layer of rolls in pan. Cover rolls with cheddar cheese, if desired, in a single layer.
- Add turkey to sandwiches covering the entire bottom of the rolls with turkey (be generous).
- Spread stuffing mix over the turkey layer.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and cranberry sauce until well blended. Spread as much as desired over the stuffing mix and add the tops of the rolls when done.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until ingredients have warmed through. Serve hot with extra cranberry mayo if desired.