This dish was super hard to photograph and even harder to describe. Using the rest of our crescent rolls that were on sale last week I was able to make this dish that has been on most tables since we were kids. This is one of those casseroles that most people remember from their mother or grandmother. Super simple and deliciously cheesy.
My family was a bit leery of this dish at first. The combination of the cream of chicken soup and the crescent rolls was a bit much for them. But, once they tasted it their minds were changed. It was creamy and comforting and just perfect for a week night meal.
I served this with a green salad and green beans to complete the meal.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or fat-free half and half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 – 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cooked and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons mayonnaise or heavy cream, to thin
- 1-2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a casserole dish (any size to hold crescent rolls).
- In a saucepan, mix half and half cream, 3/4 cup cheese (can use more cheese if desired) and undiluted chicken soup (can season with black pepper if desired).
- Heat just until the cheese melts (do not boil).
- For the filling — (make certain that the cream cheese and butter are very soft) in a bowl, mix the soft cream cheese with butter until very smooth, then add in garlic powder (if desired).
- Add in the chopped chicken, onion and cheddar cheese; mix well until combined.
- Add in 2 tablespoons cream; mix to combine (add in a little more if the mixture seems too dry).
- Season with salt or black pepper to taste.
- Unroll the crescent rolls.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon chicken mixture (or a little more) on top of each crescent triangle, then roll up starting at the thicker end.
- Coat the bottom of the casserole dish with some of the soup mixture.
- Then place the crescent rolls seam-side down on top of the creamed mixture in the casserole.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese, or amount desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.