My family loves pizza and I am always trying to think of new toppings combinations to try. As it is the end of the month my meat choices to serve for dinner were ground beef or chicken, again. I chose the ground beef. Since we have been on a Mediterranean/Lebanese food lately I decided to combine a bit of each and create a Hummus Kofta Pizza.
At first my children thought I was totally crazy for putting hummus on pizza and then topping it with kofta. Kofta is usually grilled on a skewer but to make it easier on myself I just made it in a fry pan. The smell of the meat cooking was amazing. Add the tzatziki on top of the pizza after it cooks and it tasted so amazing!
This was so filling that we only ate one slice each. The kids ate it for lunch the next day.
I served this with a simple green salad to complete the meal.
- Pizza dough, for one large pizza or two medium pizzas
- 3/4 – 1 cup hummus, I used red pepper hummus but use your favorite
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, shredded on large-bore box grater and squeezed dry of any liquid
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1+ tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- tzatziki, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stretch dough to a large circle to bake on a pizza stone or oiled rimmed baking sheet.
- Brown ground beef, minced garlic, and shredded onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease once meat is browned.
- Add water to ground beef with parsley, ginger, salt, and garam masala. Stir well and let water cook off. Taste and adjust spices as desired.
- Pre-bake crust for about 5 minutes until just set. Spread hummus over the top of the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle ground beef mixture over the top of the hummus. Top with feta cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottom of the crust is golden brown.
- Remove pizza from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before topping with tzatziki.