I think this is one of the easiest dinners I have made in a long time. Meetings, tax season (corporate extensions), school, and music classes are all keeping us running in different directions so we are adding more simple meals every day. Add a green side salad to this meal and you are ready in no time!
This one was a total family hit. The chicken was juicy and flavorful. Use you favorite salsa (hot, medium, or mild) to make it perfect for your family. We liked a bit of heat so used a nice medium salsa.
Hint: Cook your rice in chicken stock instead of water and add a tablespoon (or two) of dehydrated onions to the rice as it cooks. It adds to the flavor of the whole dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless pounded down to 1″ thickness
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Chunky Salsa (the thicker the better)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- rice, for serving if desired – cook with chicken stock instead of water and add dehydrated onion for more flavor
Preheat oven to 375˚ degrees. Prepare a casserole dish by adding 1/2 cup of salsa to the bottom of the dish and spreading to cover the dish.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Season the chicken breasts by sprinkling with cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes per side, or until just browned.
Once the breasts are browned lay the chicken breasts on top of salsa and add the pour the salsa over the chicken breasts.
Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use a thermometer to check.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake an additional 5 to 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving over rice if desired.