This is one Chinese dish that I order quite often when we go out to eat. When most people think of Pepper Chicken they think where are the peppers. There are none in this dish. It is celery and onions. My kids were quite confused until I started saying Black Pepper Chicken. Then it made more sense to them.
This dish comes together easily. It is spicy! If you are worried about it being too much for your family cut down on the black pepper and make it to your tastes. You want the black pepper to be the main flavor but this will make your nose run. Good when you have a stuffy nose.
I served this over rice with soy sauce on the side to add extra as the family wanted. My son added a bit of hot sauce to his.
- 1 – 11/2 lbs Chicken Breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 /4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Ground Black Pepper freshly ground from a grinder not a can or shaker
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
To Cook Chicken:
- 1/2 cup Sesame Oil
- 1 large sweet onion, large dice
- 6 Celery Stalks, diagonally sliced
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- rice for serving
- Place chicken in a bowl with marinade ingredients. Stir well to mix ingredients and coat chicken. Let sit for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a large skillet add 2 tablespoon oil and the chicken pieces (remove from marinade). Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan and set chicken aside.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons sesame oil to heat then add celery and onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add soy sauce, salt, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, sugar, and ground ginger. When the veggies turn slightly soft add the chicken and toss well to coat and heat through.
- Serve hot over rice.
4 Comments Add yours
A healthy and for sure, tasty dish with a touch of Asia.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love it when I find this dish on the Chinese buffet. 😋🌿
Sounds good! I love spicy food!