I had my son make dinner the other night. It was a simple meal of Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with a salad and vegetable. When he told me what he wanted to do with the sandwiches I was a bit skeptical. But, it was his meal so…. he rolls with some of my crazy ideas so I guess I would roll with his. He wanted barbecue sauce, sharp cheddar cheese and pickles on the sandwiches. Okay?
They were so good! We all kind of looked at the sandwiches thinking it this going to be awful but nope it was good. The more we talked about it and ate we realized the barbecue sauce is a vinegar base and the pickles are a vinegar base so it makes sense that they go together.
A green salad and vegetable completed the meal.
- 2- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 (18 oz)+ bottle barbecue sauce, use your favorite (extra for topping as desired)
- 6 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- sweet pickle chips
- 6-8 large bakery sandwich rolls
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Lightly salt and pepper breasts. Turn on low for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Remove any moisture from the bowl of the slow cooker with a ladle. Shred or cut chicken into little pieces. Add barbecue sauce and stir well. Cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour on low until chicken is fully cooked and barbecue sauce is warmed.
- Cut rolls in half horizontally. Add chicken, cheddar cheese, pickles and extra barbecue sauce as desired for serving.