This is one of those old-timey recipes that has been around forever. There are many variations on this that change up the meat, cheese, and some even add eggs to make a thicker filling. This is our favorite version.
This is a great hearty bread that is perfect for a football party or a teen gathering. Add some dipping sauces and you have a great snack!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 8 oz. Provolone cheese, shredded
- olive oil
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Removing sausage out of casing if necessary. Cook sausage breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Drain grease from meat.
- On a greased baking sheet, roll the dough out into a large rectangle, as large 13 x 15 or larger. Brush the top of the bread with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the sausage over the bread dough leaving a 1/2″ to 1″ border around the edges. Then sprinkle the Provolone cheese over the sausage. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Carefully roll the dough like a jelly roll and pinch the edges shut, and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Try seal any holes by pinching them shut carefully.
- Brush top of loaf with egg yolk mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven when browned well.
- Cut slices with a bread knife, and serve warm or at room temperature.