Do you have one of those dishes in your family that is the stuff of legends? This recipe is one for our family. It is the dish Mom/Grandma/Great-Grandma would bring to picnics and summer holidays. It is the one recipe that makes all of us smile as we remember. It is a super simple salad but it is the memories that is stirs up that makes it delicious to us. Doctor it up with the spices and additions you like to make it your own.
It is hard to see the shrimp in the salad but they are in there. We use the tiny canned shrimp for this salad or you can use larger shrimp cut into small pieces. Grandma always used canned shrimp so that is what we use.
Grandma's Ring Shrimp Salad
- 1 (12 oz) box ring pasta, or other shape you desire
- 2-3 (6 oz) tiny canned shrimp, drained and dried with a paper towel
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 – 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- While the pasta is cooking according to package directions dice the celery and onion. Once pasta is cooked drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Mix in 1 tablespoon of olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking. Allow to cool.
- Mix the shrimp, mayonnaise, celery, onion, and vinegar together while the pasta is cooling. Set in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend until the pasta has cooled some.
- When ready to mix salad stir the shrimp mixture into the pasta gently. Taste and adjust with salt, pepper or extra mayonnaise and vinegar to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. The longer it sets the better it will taste.
- Serve chilled.